What are the major strengths and weaknesses of the instructor?
1. The teacher knew ALOT, he KNEW everything about what he was teaching...but sometimes I felt he forgot that we do not...and that this stuff is HARD
2. The most relevant professor I have ever had. A really great mind and you know he is not exaggerating about his extra-curricular industry knowledge (seriously, I have never learned more intriguing CS history). It is the enthusiasm with which he teaches these things that has really made me appreciate what I'm learning much more than I expected.
3. One of the major strengths of the instructor is his obvious passion and interest in the subject and in teaching overall. His methods of teaching made a difficult subject to grasp a painless and fun experience.
4. Fun to watch
5. Went a little fast. Maybe a lab or 2 during class where we walked through some as a class (assembly).
What aspects of this course were most beneficial to you?
1. overall everything.
2. Online group collaboration, really awesome labs, a great and thorough textbook.
3. I really enjoyed the labs. I am more of a hands on person and having the ability to dive in and challenge myself provides an invaluable opportunity to learn as well as ask questions.
4. Learning Assembly
5. Learning useful information about how the computer works and assembly
What do you suggest to improve this course?
1. Lessen the amount of work for these labs.
2. Could have used a better oral introduction to UNIX in the first week or so. It was hard to adapt and the notes on learning it were even a little daunting.
3. I really felt that the class was structure very nicely with the lectures made easier to understand that what the book provided. I think the book is a great resource to soak into and supplemented with the instructors lecture allows us to retain a lot of information.
4. Have more tutors. Course was very difficult
5. Maybe some classes in the lab where we can walk through it
Comment on the grading procedures and exams
1. Graded REALLY fast!! Graded fairly etc...but just too much WORK!!!
2. Fair grading system for exams (points earned rather than points knocked off).
3. The grading I felt was done fairly and on time. Typically by the next class we would have our quizzes and exams graded.
1. Very hard, but very beneficial. I REALLY enjoyed the teacher, he was zany and fun to be in his class. He reminded me of Bill Nigh the Science Guy!!
2. I have a really good time in this class. Thanks.
3. Great instructor and class! I look forward to Computer Systems II.