What are the major strengths and weaknesses of the instructor?
2. Strengths - high energy, enthusiastic, positive attitudeWeaknesses - lack of ability or desire to present course material in an organised, structured manner
3. While the course has been challenging, this professor has been the best I've had at DePaul so far. The instructor was exceptionally organized, graded homeworks/exams quickly, explained things properly. I will endevour to take courses with this professor again in the future.
5. Easy to understand and very accessable through google groups. Knowlegable about quite a few programming languiages and drew parallels often between them.
6. the teacher is very passionate about the subject
7. Knowledgable and clear. Made class entertaining.
9. Presented the material in a way which I actually stayed awake. Great and prompt answers to all my questions. The only problem I had was sometimes it was really hard to read what was written on the whiteboard and then I would have a difficult time understanding what was being taught. Sometimes the whole whiteboard would erase when it wasn't supposed to.
10. Engaging speaker.
11. The instructor is an energetic lecturer, which helps to maintain interest.
What aspects of this course were most beneficial to you?
2. the programming projects
3. Homeworks were very relevant and taught me a great deal.
5. Exposure to the course material allowed me to rethink my current design approaches.
6. I think we should have more programs that we start from scratch instead adding on pre-established program
7. This class probably contributed to one of the greatest increases of my skill in development.
10. Exposure to design patterns.
11. The final project gave me additional experience with Java.
What do you suggest to improve this course?
1. Early assignments should stress structures not testing. Structures came into the the course too slow.
2. Unfortunately, most of the time i spent on the programming projects was in trying to figure out the instructor's code, rather than thinking about applying what i had learned about design patterns and object oriented programming. It might have been more beneficial to make the projects simpler, but have little to no starter code provided by the instructor.
3. While I hate to say this as I'm dooming future students, but I would say more homework.
4. I feel that with the large project done in this course, the final is overkill. The final takes time away from learning the practical uses that is learned in the project.
5. Final project was very time consuming. Try to find small, clearly defined steps to complete. Graphics part (supplied by instructor) had dependancies which required changes based on student's decisions.
7. The amount of time required for the final project may have been a bit much. With a full time job and taking multiple courses this would've been near imposible.
8. Make this and many other courses at DePaul 12-13 or even 15 weeks instead of 10 weeks.
10. Don't give such a strong endorsement to the O'reilly patterns book, or at least make sure you give the warning along with it before the first lecture. While I do feel it did a pretty good job of explaining the patterns, and maybe I'll even remember them better for it, their target audience seemed to be about 13. Its hard to read a book you want to throw.
11. The content of the course seemed to be more at an undergraduate level. I think better coverage of patterns and real-world examples of where they have been used would be a helpful addition.
Comment on the grading procedures and exams
3. Grading was quick, and seemed very fair.
10. Very fast turnaround. This is very helpful for learning from mistakes.
11. There were delays of several weeks to a month in getting grades for preliminary project submissions. I would have liked to have grades sooner in order to have feedback on my work.
2. We were told to purchase two textbooks for the class. However, we rarely ever discussed anything directly from the textbooks and did not follow the topics contained within them in a structured manner.
5. Best instruction I've had so far. I look forward to taking other classes with this instructor.