What are the major strengths and weaknesses of the instructor?
1. Strengths: Instructor has good knowledge about the subjectWeekness: Examples give in the lecture slides were quite confusing, explainations about some of the design patterns were hard to understand.
3. strength: ability to answer questions in depthweakness: covered too much material
4. He thinks that all the studen has 3 years experiance.
5. strengths of this instructor was that he was knowlegeable about the subject and weakness was he needs to be better organized for classes.
6. enthusiastic and extremely knowledgeable on the subject.
What aspects of this course were most beneficial to you?
1. Learned a lot of intricacies about the Java programming language. Got used to looking at a lot of java code and trying to figure out what it does, which is probably how it is going to be in a real work-environment.
3. coding the assignments
5. the aspect of this course that was most benefical was the design patterns.
6. learning the patterns and how to apply them in theory
What do you suggest to improve this course?
1. Use of meaningful examples in the lecture slides, instead of classes like A, B, Num, Expr. will be really helpful.For eg, the problems on the midterm (Apple-Macintosh, Org chart) were much easier to understand.
2. This was a wonderful course, I would not suggest making changes to it. Students with a lot of experience will find that much of the material is not new. However, it was evident from the google group messages and class discussion that pace of the course and topics covered were at an appropriate level for many of the students and more challenging for less experienced students. Even so, an experienced software developer will still find this course worthwhile.
3. shrink the topics and slow down the course
4. make it more easy by providing many example relating to the topic or homework
5. i suggest to provide more helpful information for the final project.
6. the first half of the course was more like filling in the blanks and did not fully prepare for the second half of the course (although we were warned). make the early homeworks more challenging in order to prepare better for the second half
Comment on the grading procedures and exams
5. the grading on exams and homeworks was fair.
6. tough class