What are the major strengths and weaknesses of the instructor?
1. Very confident with subject material. Overall, one of the best courses I've taken.
2. The instructor's sence of humor made every lecture interesting and enjoyable. That was very motivating.The examples given at class were very helpful.
3. fun, approachable, easy to work with.
4. The lectures are always interesting and lively
5. Strengths , he was good at converting a real world examples into Class Models. I mean to say very gooda t Designing and futher how to Implement the Degsign...!
6. Very energetic and enthusiastic about the material, as well as knowledgable.
7. Nice personality
What aspects of this course were most beneficial to you?
1. The homework and project was extremely well designed.
2. The project was fun but a lot of work. The reading assignments in Xiaoping and Shalloway were pointless, while the other reading assignments (esp Effecitive Java and the Essential Java tutorials) were extremely helpful.
3. pattern development, applying to real world coding (business world)
4. I feel I have a much better understanding of how to produce quality software
5. Different Design patterns and then refactoring, assignments which wwere given,Mid term and the Project.
6. Good intro to design patterns and using better coding practices
7. Way of refactoring
What do you suggest to improve this course?
1. More feedback on homework completed throughout the course.
2. I would recommend to buy the GoF book and Effective Java instead of OO Software Development using Java and Design Patterns Explained. I liked neither of them. All other reading assignments were extremely interesting.
3. whew. there's a whole lot of stuff crammed into a very short amount of time. this course could probably be split into two and both halves covered a bit more thoroughly.
4. The homework in the first part of the class didn't really require much understanding of how to refactor and utilize design patterns. That made the midterm (and everything after) more difficult.
5. students should do group discussion.
7. Spend more time on examples
Comment on the grading procedures and exams
3. first half and mid-term appear to be very fair. we just started the second half...
6. Grading was very fair and returned a reasonable amount of time
7. More explainations would be appreciated
2. One of the best classes I have ever taken!
5. It was really great to take a lecture under professor James Reily
7. Liked the way teacher presented the material. Very "alive".