CSC 300 610
||Data Structures I
|Return to List
What are the major strengths and weaknesses of the instructor?
- Strength - Knows the material very well. Weakness - I can see how some of his feedback about how easy/hard a problem is can be discouraging to some students.
- His lectures did not cover how to execute the material very well
- Dr. Riley's one weakness is the way he constantly demoralizes his students. Every lecture, it seems like he constantly told us to drop the class and change majors for the smallest errors.
What aspects of this course were most beneficial to you?
- Being able to go back into the homework and study off the problems by being able to redo it constantly and preparing myself for exams.
- The course would go better if it wasn't taken online. I can't list benefits as I didn't see any from Dr. Riley's teaching.
What suggestions do you have that could help improve the course?
- Provide some sort of incentive for those who constantly kept on going to SI tutoring whether it be one person or 2 people.
- This may not be feasible, but more human grading on hw and/or quizzes. Its easy to understand the problem and get the solution 95% right, but receive no/little credit on automated tests or online quizzes because of a small mistake/detail
- He needs to walk through how to write code that will be similar to the homework. Reading off the notes from the slides alone was not effective
- Stop demoralizing students and encourage them to put their all into the course and ask for help when needed.
Do you have comments on the grading procedures and exams?
- Exams are well done. It has forced me to improve my code by forcing the students to write by hand instead of using an IDE
- Give more attempts on the quizzes, so students can correct and learn from their mistakes.
- Extremely difficult class and I feel that I did not actually learn anything
- Encourage students to continue on as a computer science major would motivate them to try their best.