|Course:||CSC 447 701|
|Course Name:||Concepts of Programming Languages|
|Return to List|
What are the major strengths and weaknesses of the instructor?
- I was a little frustrated with the lack of explanation on what the midterm would contain. Also the homework is self graded (through software) and it had glitches several times. That should never happen. I am failing this class, but i have to fix the homework he gives us? He is nice and respectful. I think he realized several of us were very upset about the homework not working because it showed in our midterms, since we spent a large amount of time fixing it and wondering whay is wrong versus studying. I like him and I think he is a good professor, but some of these issues are pretty serious.
- Very knowledgeable of the subject. Presents material in such a way that was easily understandable. Quickly and clearly answered questions.
- strengths : extremly knowledgeable, friendly and great communication skillWeakness : nothing as such. However, real life examples would be great. However, keeping the course based on real world would be great. There should a small project at the end of the course so that we can learn and implement at the same time.
- James has knowledge of most of the programming languages, which is a huge plus for this course.
- Explains concepts well, but not well prepared for class.
- Instructor explained everything.
- strengths he is clear and concise.
- Strengths: Well spoken, funny, encourages participation, knows his stuffWeakness: A little rusty in Scala (so he mentioned)
What aspects of this course were most beneficial to you?
- Material is very relevant to my work.
- Introduction to multiple languages
- Walking through examples as a class made understanding concepts much easier.
- Probably introduction to the Scala
- learning scala
- Scala, Worksheets
- learning about the scala programming language
- Learning about and dabbling in various programming languages. Very important to be familiar with each type of PL
What suggestions do you have that could help improve the course?
- Redo the course hw and worksheets. Its prettyold.
- Please design it real world based. So that we can get guidance some idea on it works in a real project
- NOt much
- Less Scheme
- prepare for class
- course is too lengthy and less time to complete that course.
- I'd vote to make the homework questions a little harder to reflect what will be on the exam. Also, maybe pick one problem from each worksheet (a problem which will determine whether they've went through the worksheet or not) and have the students submit that problem to d2l.
Do you have comments on the grading procedures and exams?
- Its all automatic so...
- Grading procedures were fine, but exams seemed to be more difficult than what students were expecting or prepared for.
- Grading was on time!
- it was fine
- Grading was fair.
- The exams are hard, its hard to accumulate partial credit for a problem if its only multi choice answers.
- Very fair grading and curves are generous
- Enjoyed the course.
- Very interesting class. Would recommend to those who don't necessarily have to take it.